Friday, July 20, 2012

Interdisciplinary Teaching--Dia de los Muertos



In any Spanish class I teach, one of my favorite topics to teach is holidays celebrated in the different Spanish-speaking countries. One of my favorite cultural celebrations to teach is Día de los Muertos. I normally spend about one week prior to Día de los Muertos (November 1st and 2nd) teaching students about the history and traditions of Day of the Dead. We explore Day of the Dead through art, music, video clips, and food.

At the end of the week, we make a class altar with ofrendas (offerings) to honor and celebrate loved ones students have lost. Students are asked to bring a picture of someone that has passed away in their family (if not family, than a friend or a pet), and one object that represents that person. I start the class by explaining the picture and object I brought to represent someone I have lost, and students then share their pictures with the class. After sharing, all pictures and objects are placed on the class altar, which is decorated with orange and purples candles, cempasúchiles (orange merigolds—the traditional flower of Day of the Dead), and papel picado and calaveras (sugar skulls) made by students during the week. On Friday of that week, we have a Día de los Muertos party. Students bring in traditional Mexican food (homemade or bought) that is traditionally eaten on Day of the Dead in Mexico, and I make a pan de muertos for the class to share.

The end result of the combination of lessons and the class altar is a very powerful lesson for students, and often sparks further interest into other cultural holidays. Day of the Dead is one of the most (if not the most) important holidays in Mexico and is often misunderstood by non-Mexican’s. By the end of the week, students have a clearer understanding of both how and why people celebrate Day of the Dead, and actively participate in a sacred tradition of Día de los Muertos—the ofrenda.  

Throughout the series of lessons I teach on Dia de los Muertos, there are several resources I use in order to enrich students’ understanding of the traditions, meaning, and importance of the holiday. One resources I have used in the past is the Smithsonian Latino Center’s website (http://latino.si.edu/dayofthedead/) on Day of the Dead to do a web quest. To introduce the holiday, I break students up into groups. Each group is given a set of questions that they must answer using the information on the website (under the “About Day of the Dead” and “Glossary” links at the top). They must then report back to the class what they found. The questions for each group are divided into categories (history, important vocabulary, traditions, meaning, and how it is celebrated in Mexico). I have found that this is a great way to get students involved in learning about the history of Día de los Muertos and how it is celebrated today.

Another resource I use during the week to teach students about Day of the Dead is a virtual, online picture book (http://www.miscositas.com/miabuela.html) called Mi Abuela Ya No Está. The short story is about a young girl who has lost her grandmother, and learns to celebrate her life through the Day of the Dead festivities. Although the story is somewhat complicated (grammar, vocab. etc.), we spend time as a class and in partners telling the story through the pictures first, scaffolding vocabulary, and deciphering the meaning together. Depending on the level of the class (Spanish 1, 2, 3, or 4), I use the story book to different extents.

I also use video clips to show students what Day of the Dead celebrations look like in Mexico, and to help students better understand the history and traditions of Día de los muertos. This link is a video a series of photos and video of Day of the Dead celebrations in Mexico to the Café Tacuba song “Dame la Muerte Chiquita.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fTySU0FxNA&feature=fvsr. I show the clip in class to help students see what the different aspects of the celebration look like (the altars, skulls, etc.). We also spend time looking at the lyrics of the song, what they mean, and how they relate to Día de los Muertos. Another clip I like to show is a video of a Day of the Dead mass in a cemetery in Mexico on Day of the Dead followed by video and images of the celebration that precedes the mass. There is also a short interview with someone honoring a loved one. This video is great for showing students what actually occurs on Day of the Dead in Mexico, and the importance it holds in the Mexican culture. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QXY2TI5jrs

One of my favorite reference sites for Day of the Dead crafts and project ideas/examples is http://www.mexicansugarskull.com/


Interdisciplinary teaching is valuable in ways to both students and teachers that we  yet to even know for ourselves. It allows students to make higher-learning connections and gives students an opportunity to see the "bigger picture" of education. It also deepens understand of a subject matter. In foreign language, bringing things like art, music, stories, realia, etc. to help teach vocabulary, grammar, and culture forces students to use the language they learn in authentic and practical contexts, and to see the real-life value in what they are learning. 



*See my responses to colleagues:
Yadira Zapata

No comments:

Post a Comment